Wednesday, January 11, 2012

COLLECTION #140: Brock Harvest Pottery


This fun set of pottery was given to me by my sister Leslie a few years ago... knowing how much I love western themes and vintage pottery, she thought I would love these dishes, and I do. They were made by the Brock Pottery Company (also known as the Southern California Pottery Company) in the late '40s or early '50s. The company was only in business from 1947 to the mid 1950s, so at least I've got it narrowed down that far. I've found other Brock pottery patterns online, and this is by far my favorite. I LOVE the tree shapes... they look just like California eucalyptus trees, and make me feel right at home.



I love how the pattern 'progresses' from simple to more complex. On the cups and salt & pepper shakers, there's just a barn, windmill and a couple of little trees. Then on the salad bowl, the big foreground trees are added, along with some fields and trees in the background.  On the large plates, we see the whole scene: large barn, trees, farmer and wagon, fences. I love the browns, yellows and greens.


10 comments:

Curious Kat said...

Is it normal for some to be stamped on the bottom and others not?

Stefanie Eskander said...

Hi Curious Kat: I think it is normal, especially for smaller pieces. But I don't claim to be a pottery expert!

Debora Shaw said...

I was wondering if you just collect the Brock of California dishes or do you use them to put food on them? I have been wanting to purchase these but trying to find out about the lead content. Do you have any info on that? Thank you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stefanie Eskander said...

Debora:
I haven’t served food on them, but I probably would… especially if it’s just occasionally. I haven’t looked up the lead content. I’m no expert but it seems you would have to use them a lot to acquire any lead in your system. If you are really interested in the dishes, I’m thinking of selling them. You can reach me at stefanieeskander@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I have a Brock piece of which I can find no information. It is called "California Missions." The piece is "San Juan Capistrano." It is 8 1/4" square. Any suggestions?

Stefanie Eskander said...

Hi Anonymous: I've never heard of the California Missions pottery, but it sounds awesome! Growing up in California, the Missions are near and dear to my heart, I'd love to see yours!

Anonymous said...

I would send a photo if possible

Stefanie Eskander said...

Anonymous: You can email it to me if you like: StefanieEskander@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

It should be in your inbox