Friday, April 20, 2012

COLLECTION #212: Vintage Atlas Collection




Usually Fridays are reserved for vintage school books, or occasionally, just children's books, but since atlases are often found in schools, I thought this would be the perfect occasion.



I've always loved maps and atlases. I was fascinated with the giant US and world maps we had in our elementary school classrooms... they pulled down from the top of the blackboard like a movie screen. The colors, borders, lines, rivers, oceans, cities, points of interest, capitals... not to mention, the compass, highways, lakes, mountains, deserts, all were indicated on our maps.
Rand McNally atlases

My own atlas. Note how I erased my printed name, and wrote it in cursive. I'm sure I wanted to impress someone!

When I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade, my Mom bought me my own Rand McNally Current Events atlas. It cost her a whopping 50 cents. But I remember how I pored over it, and even wrote a little note on the USSR, voicing my displeasure at the current resident of the Kremlin.
A personal note to Kruschev from little me, age 10 or so.

I've mentioned in a past post that I don't think young people feel the same way about maps as I did, or perhaps you did. I wonder if they really learn how to read a map in school anymore. The internet and GPS systems have made navigation a thing of the past. But to me, they are fascinating.

I have quite a collection of vintage atlases. They range from the 1920s to the 1950s, and there are at least two of them from the WWII years, showing the post-1938 Hitler invasions and European divisions. So fascinating!

Literary Guild atlases from the 20s and 30s.




Hammond Atlases

1925 map of China

1925

From a 1950s Hammond travel atlas, showing bus routes

WWII-era map showing  Europe and it's war borders.


No comments: