Wednesday, May 9, 2012

COLLECTION #226: Vintage Mexican Jacket


I love to decorate our home for Cinco de Mayo. I know it's not a 'real' holiday, I know it's only a day important to the people of Puebla, Mexico. I know it's just a made-up American day to sell lots of Margueritas and Huevos Rancheros, but I love it anyway. Last Saturday, on cinco de Mayo, I dug into the back of my closet and found my wonderful old 1940s Mexican jacket, with all of the embroidery and applique work. These types of jackets were all the rage back in the '40s and '50s, especially popular with American tourists.  Actually, I don't know exactly the age of my jacket. It definitely has a few stains and flaws, but in my mind, the embroidery and artistry is perfection.



Don't you just love the back view, with the cute Mexican dancers? It just makes me want to get out the castanets, and play my Mexican records. Maybe "Celito Lindo"?

2 comments:

Georgia Toons said...

LOVE it!

NoraC said...

Gorgeous! The dancers on the back are actually Charro Dancers. No castenets. She is wearing her China Poblana outfit, the national outfit of Mexico.