Monday, July 4, 2011

COLLECTION #2: Vintage School Music Books

One of my largest collections is my huge stash of vintage school books. They range from the 1920s to the late 1960s, but most of them fall in what I consider the golden age of education- the 40s and 50s. The sweet stories and adorable illustrations warm my heart! I have over 50 school music books, and this is the collection I'm sharing with you today. (click on any of the pictures for a closer view)

One of the ways that I collect school books, is to try to complete sets of books. Generally each publisher released one book per subject per grade, from kindergarten or first grade through sixth (and occasionally eighth) grades. The books have a numbering system- anything from an obvious "Grade One" on the cover, to a cluster of stars, triangles, dots on the spine, enumerating which book in the series it is.
Since it's Independence Day, and schools were unabashedly patriotic in those years, I thought it would be fun to showcase a couple of pages in the books that have patriotic songs. Have a great July 4th!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I just love the covers of these adorable books!

DebW said...

OMG! You have brought back a flood of memories for me! I was born in 1962 and remember having those music books in music class from elementary through jr high school. Thanks for sharing!

deb said...

I just discovered your blog. These books are marvelous! I LOVE old books. The patriotic pages are especially dear!

Grammy said...

I was singing some of my little girl songs to my granddaughter and couldn't remember some words. Do you have the Pumpkin Man and We Gather Together?