Wednesday, March 14, 2012

COLLECTION #185: Vintage Singer Sewing Machine


Ever since I've been posting my collections, researching, and learning more about collectibles on Collector's Weekly, I've been amazed at the new horizons that have been opened for me. In addition to finding the vast majority of my featured Weekend Collector websites and blogs, I've also learned quite a bit about a variety of categories of antiques and collectibles. A naturally curious sort, occasionally my incuriosity strikes me as odd. And now that my eyes have been opened, I'm finding myself, as Alice said, 'curiouser and curiouser'. (Although she didn't mean it that way!)  So, today's orphan item, is a perfect example. Bruce and I purchased this antique Singer sewing machine literally off the street. It was sitting curbside near my (then) office in East Aurora, NY back in 1992.  It had a for sale sign on it, so we stopped to see how much it was. I believe we paid $100 for it then, which was quite a sum for us.  So, by my count, we've had the sewing machine just a little shy of 20 years, and yet, I didn't really know a thing about it until last week. Frankly, I leave the cover on it all the time, and so I really hadn't taken the time to even look at it properly.  But, as usual, Collector's Weekly had some interesting sewing machine postings and information, and I started to do a little cursory investigation. I was impressed to discover that the Singer Co, which has been making sewing machines for over 160 years, has a wonderful tool on their corporate website, with all of the serial numbers listed with year of production. This little tool, plus a bit of Googling, helped me FINALLY identify my Singer as being manufactured in 1891. Honestly, I had no idea it was that old. I figured it was about the same vintage as my other ancient sewing machine- my Mom's old Wheeler Rotary from the late 1930s.  (Obviously, I'm not a seamstress!) I mean, they were both black, same general shape, with some curlycues on the body! (Shame is turning my face red!)

Sew, here it is, in all its glory, beautiful, if a bit dusty and worn.  Now stop needling me!

It's a five drawer treadle machine.

Close-up, showing serial number

Close-up of foot plate, showing patent numbers.

Shown with cover. Notice the Singer puzzle attachment case.

Here's a layout I did featuring my Mom's vintage Wheeler Rotary sewing machine, which is also in my possession. It's obvious these were decades apart in manufacture! (Next time I'll be more observant!)

6 comments:

Sue said...

I recently found one road side looking very similar to yours with cover and all. The cast iron had a patent of Jan 4 1887, three drawers each side, serial # 13094059. I have been unsuccessful in finding out any more info on it but your model seems very similar. You have a beauty there!

Hope M. said...

My mom's Singer sewing machine was nearly identical to that, but her machine's top rotated down into the cabinet and was covered with a sliding panel. I still have the puzzle box -- it now holds my earbuds for listening to music. I enjoy that juxtaposition of old and new.

Unknown said...

How much do you want for this swinger machne

Unknown said...

How much do you want for this swinger machne

Stefanie Eskander said...

I'm sorry, Joseba, I have sold this machine, so I don't have any more information that what I wrote.
Stefanie

Unknown said...

We have one for sale that is exactly like this. Still has thread and a needle to it and some needle cases. We even have the book for it but have no idea how much it is worth. Are you still looking to buy?