Monday, August 8, 2011

COLLECTION #27: Children's Sheet Music

It's music Monday! Today's collection is some cute sheet music for children from the 30s and 40s.  Most of these came from my Mother-in-law, who obviously took piano lessons as a child. Betty (My MIL) won a Shirley Temple look-alike contest when she was about 4, and her own mom must have surrounded her with lots of Shirley 'stuff'. (You will see some of these things when I post my small Shirley Temple collection some time in the near future).

Actually the Paper Doll sheet music wasn't for children, it was a great jazz number popular in the 1940s. But it fit the theme pretty well! I also have a copy of Toyland, the cute Christmas children's song from the musical "Babes in Toyland" from the early 1900s. Somehow that music got stuck behind another one, so is MIA from my photo.  The music A Merry Day was my first piano recital solo song, when I was about 7 years old.  I found it in our old piano bench years later, and have kept it all these years, along with a lot of my other early piano music books.


There are also two songs from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I love the great Disney illustration on the cover. It makes a nice addition to a Disney collection, although I don't really have a Disney collection! (Maybe I will discover I actually have more Disney stuff than I think, and I'll add it to the bottom of my collections list- stay tuned!)

No comments: