Thursday, September 15, 2011

COLLECTION #55: Vintage Walter Foster Art Books

When I was little, I loved looking at, and buying Walter Foster art books. Walter Foster published a line of interesting and inspiring (and sometimes kitschy) books, teaching art & drawing skills of all kinds. Everything from anatomy to boats to cartoons to.....


My small collection of books were originally published in the 40s and 50s. Three of these are my childhood books, and the "Designs" book is one I picked up a few months ago at an antique store.  I love the retro graphics and designs!

Walter Foster had his own advertising agency in the 1920s, and started publishing his own line of self-help art instruction books at that time. Through the years he added other artists with different styles and specialties to his line. Walter Foster Publishing is still producing art instruction books today, and they have quite a diverse line of subjects. 

No comments: