Tuesday, November 15, 2011

COLLECTION #98: Tiny Toys on Wheels

Back in the early part of the 20th century, many toys for children were wheeled. It was easy and fun for a child to pull a stuffed bear, or wooden horse along with him or her. Wheels were a simple way to animate a toy, without having to have complicated mechanisms or other moving parts. In the spirit of those long-ago days, I have collected a handful of little tiny wheeled toys...  too small for a child, but maybe the right size for a small doll.  Or Christmas tree! (A few of these were designed as tree ornaments, and trust me, I have a few others packed away with my Christmas things!)  The oldest of my little wheeled critters is the duck, which I bought on a trip to Boston in 1977. It's less than 2" long, and I love the classic design. The little racing rabbit was another early purchase.  I have a couple of very inexpensive plastic ones a few wooden pieces, and a blown-glass swan.  The cute elephant is made of metal.

My first wheeled tiny toy- the duck, purchased in Boston, 1977.


This little guy travels everywhere!




The cute little elephant is by Mary Englebreit.  The little lamb is about 3/4" long.

No comments: