Tuesday, May 15, 2012

COLLECTION #230: Vintage Boxed Activity Books



More fun for Ephemera Week on the Copycat Collector! These are vintage boxed sets of children's activity and reading books from the 40s and 50s. I love them! The first set, published by Platt & Munk in the early 1940s, was something I have already shared. You can read more about it here. These little books are story books, each one is about a different child or children from another time or place. They are beautifully illustrated, and the original boxed set sold for just 75 cents!


My second set is an adorable Activity Box from the Saalfield Pulishing Company in 1941. It is full of little coloring and dot-to-dot books, with fun illustrations. I love the 'magic painting' books, just use a wet brush and the colors magically appear!




The last set is from Whitman Publishing, 1956. Some of the books are missing. There were originally 20 books, and I have 10 Lassie books, and 4 others. So, I assume that 6 generic books have disappeared. I love those Lassie books though, it was one of my favorite TV shows as a child. It should be noted that the show portrayed in the coloring books were during the "Jeff" years, not the "Timmy" years. I kinda had a crush on Jeff when I was about 6. I thought he was so cute!




No comments: