Wednesday, February 1, 2012

COLLECTION #155: Vintage Lifesavers Display Rack

I haven't been able to find out the age of this candy rack, but it's probably from the 1950s.
 It's Orphan Wednesday again! (Remember? I started doing that last Wednesday- sharing my odd stuff, onesies, singles, 'why would anyone want more than one of these?' kinds of things). Today I'm sharing my vintage Lifesavers display rack. I have had this thing for years and years. I wish I could remember exactly where and when I bought it, but it had to have been at least 30 years ago. I bought it with the idea that I would display/ store my art supplies there many years ago, and I more or less stuck with that. But I never really felt that I used it to its potential until I put it on my drawing table years ago, and used it to display lots of fun and useful things.
I do have to laugh about something kind of funny. I thought I might do a quick Google search and see if I could find out anything about this rack... how old, if anyone else had one, etc. I was looking through the Google images, when I spotted a photo of my very own rack, filled with my toys and stuff. Although I had photographed it for this blog post, both empty and full, I hadn't yet composed my posting, and I certainly hadn't added my photos. It kind of spooked me for a minute! I mean, how did this happen? How did my own (just taken) photo jump into the Google images archive? (Insert Twilight Zone music here....)  Then I clicked on the image. It took me right to a post I did several months ago where I gave a virtual tour of my collections. Lo and behold, I had already photographed it, and posted it. I hadn't even remembered taking the photo!

 I thought you might like to see it empty and clean, and then stocked with all of my toys, critters, games, and fun stuff.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your humorous lighthearted approach to making a creative display.
Yes, I think the rack looks pretty old. You may compare the wrappers to those displayed on a blog of Jason Liebig’s called “candy collecting”. You may be able to get an date range for it. I’d say 49’s or 50’s. Steve