Tuesday, February 21, 2012

COLLECTION #169: Wind-Up Toys



I just LOVE wind-up toys! I love the noise they make when they jump, shimmy, spin, hop, bang, clang, and shake! I have quite a variety of wind-up items of every type and variety. Some old. Some reproduction. Some US made. Some Japanese. At least one German. Many of these have been shown in previous collections here and here!

I only included a few robots from my much larger collection, because I didn't want the photo to become too cluttered. This gives you an idea of the types of wind-ups I have.  Most of these are tin,  a few have fabric on a metal frame, and one is entirely plastic except for the mechanism. (The harness racing jockey).


I love my Unique Art Li'l Abner Dogpatch Band. It's from the late '40s, and is probably the oldest item in this collection. It's not in great condition, but it's one of my favorite antique toys.  It still works: Li'l Abner clogs, Mammy Yocum leads the band, Pappy Yocum plays the drum (without his drumsticks), Daisy Mae vigorously plays the piano.

Dogpatch Band by Unique Art

Here are some more photos of my fun wind-up toys:

Japanese repro plane
Hopping birds
German Schuco violin-playing clown from the late '40s or early '50s.
Fun twirling airplane carousel
Hopping Dog

1 comment:

maurice said...

great i am also a windup collector but plastic one's with a knob .
have a look
www.wkwindup.net