Wednesday, February 29, 2012

COLLECTION #175: Vintage Doll Crazy Quilt


I call this a vintage doll quilt, but  I'm not sure if this was made for a doll, or was actually a doily or wall decoration. But I like to think of it as a doll quilt. This little piece is tied to the antique doll dresser I shared with you two weeks ago, it was given to me by the same elderly lady, and was also owned (and in this case, made) by her mother. As I was photographing this quiltlet, I became curious if it actually was made by Florence's mother. I only had a year (1885) and initials (CDS- at least I think it's an 'S'). So, I fired up Ancestry.com, and quickly learned that it was indeed made by Florence's mom. And how did I do this? Since Florence never married, I was able to search quite a ways back to discover her as a child living with her parents in the 1900 census. (She was living in a small town in Upstate New York).  To make a long story short, I discovered that Florence's mother's name was Cora D. Allen. That's her married name, not maiden name. I'm still working on discovering that little factoid. But at least I now know that she did indeed make this little piece.

Isn't it cute? I love crazy quilt piece work, and this one is really pretty. Lots of velvet, lace, embroidery and applique, plus the sweet added embroidery of date and initials. Some of the fabric has disintegrated, revealing some interesting fabrics underneath. I say it's a keeper!

No comments: